Jeffrey M. Szyperski was elected 2018-2019 chair of the American Bankers Association at its annual meeting.
Szyperski is chairman, president and CEO of Chesapeake Financial Shares, Inc., and Chesapeake Bank, an $820 million institution based in Kilmarnock, Va. In addition, he is chairman of Chesapeake Wealth Management.
“The heart of banking lies in the service we provide to our customers and communities each day,” said Szyperski. “I’m honored to have this opportunity to represent and advocate for the two million women and men working in banking and helping to drive our economy forward.”
He is a past chairman of the Virginia Bankers Association (2012-2013), and currently serves on VBA’s board and chairs the VBA education foundation. Szyperski is also past chairman of ABA’s membership council and a past chairman of ABA’s audit committee. In his community, he served on the Saint Mary’s School board of trustees, is a past chairman and member of the Chesapeake Academy board of trustees, and is a past chairman and member of the Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury, Inc., board of trustees.
Prior to his time at Chesapeake Bank, Szyperski was a CPA in Raleigh, N.C., where he was a senior manager for a major accounting firm. He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina and the Graduate School of Banking at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge. Szyperski succeeds Kenneth L. Burgess, Jr., chairman of FirstCapital Bank of Texas.
“Jeff is a dedicated industry leader with a keen insight into how to foster a strong bank culture, engage employees and harness technology to meet the ever-changing needs of bank customers and communities,” said Rob Nichols, ABA president and CEO. “His commitment to America’s banks has already shined through in his tremendous service to ABA’s Board, and I expect his contributions will only increase as he takes the reins as ABA chairman.”
Other 2018-2019 officers elected are:
- Chair-elect Laura Lee (Laurie) Stewart, president and CEO, Sound Community Bank, Seattle;
- Vice Chair James J. Edwards, Jr., CEO, United Bank, Griffin, Ga; and
- Treasurer Luther Deaton, Jr., chairman, president and CEO, Central Bank and Trust Co., Lexington, Ky.
Beginning new terms on the ABA board are:
- Richard M. Adams, Jr., president, United Bankshares, Inc. (USBI), Parkersburg, W.Va.;
- Pedro A. Bryant, president and CEO, Metro Bank, Louisville, Ky.;
- Greg D. Carmichael, chairman, president and CEO, Fifth Third Bancorp, Cincinnati, Ohio;
- Luanne Cundiff, president and CEO, First State Bank of St. Charles, St. Charles, Mo.;
- Kristie Holoch, president and CEO, Cornerstone Bank, York, Neb.;
- Bryan Luke, president and COO, Hawaii National Bank, Honolulu, Hawaii;
- Matt C. Packard, chairman of the board and CEO, Central Bank, Springville, Utah;
- Bradford C. Paige, president and CEO, Kennebunk Savings Bank, Kennebunk, Maine;
- Patricia W. Weigel, president and CEO, Norway Savings Bank, Norway, Maine; and
- Daniel C. Yates, president and CEO, Brattleboro Savings & Loan, Brattleboro, Vt.